What did Biniam Girmay say After his Stage 3 Victory at the 2024 Tour de France?


Biniam Girmay, the Eritrean cyclist, was unstandably emotional after his historic Stage 3 victory at the 2024 Tour de France. 

In multiple interviews, Girmay expressed the deep significance of this achievement for him and his home continent of Africa.

Girmay, fighting back tear, stated "“Ever since I started cycling, I've always been dreaming of being part of the Tour de France - but now, I can't believe it, to win the Tour de France in my second year in a big bunch sprint, for me it is unbelievable.”

The Intermarché–Wanty rider also pointed to team tactics as part of the succes and how it felt to fend off top riders on the biggest Stage. Girmay pointed out that the team's plan "was to aim for this sprint with Gerben Thijssen, either for him or for me. Finally, in the finale I found myself in a good place and I felt like I could go, so I gave it a try for myself. It’s huge because winning the Tour de France means winning in front of the best sprinters."

He went on to note the importance of the result for place and people as well. "This victory means a lot to me, to my team which has been waiting a long time to win a stage, for my country and also to all of Africa," stated Girmey, concluding that "Now we are really part of the big races. We have a lot victories so it’s our time, it’s our moment. I never cry, but inside I am, I just have no words.”

While Stage 4 will be difficult for sprinters, Girmey and his Intermarché–Wanty will certainly be looking ahead to contest sprinter-friendly stages later in the 2024 edition of the Tour de France.

In Girmay's own words, “It’s my time, I’m very happy."

Comments